View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hilyard View Post
Addressing just the volume/loudness/clearness issue of competing with the other instruments.....it's in the mix. If the fingerpicker isn't as loud in that band situation you are using, then just turn his volume up. "Soft" in that situation is controlled by the sound guy, not how the strings are picked. Doyle Dykes, Tommy Emmanuel, Jerry Reed, Tommy Jones, Buster B Jones, Thom Bresh, Paco de Lucia, Paco Pena, Wayne Henderson, Stanley Jordon, Martin Taylor, Martin Simpson, Don Ross, Joe Pass etc, etc, etc all play fast leads fingerstyle at length.

Ah, yes, how great. Leave the work to the sound guy. Don't bother to develop good technique and dynamics because you will never need it. No wonder so much music sounds so anemic and artificial today.

But not all. In April I went to a big guitar show in a large city. It was pretty noisy.
I had the bizarre experience of seeing a Taylor dealer deomonstrate his
products plugged in to listeners just a few feet away.

In the evening I went to a classical guitar recital in a big school auditorium. No PA, no amplification, of course, just a lone player and his guitar. How refreshing.