View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLSPRIG View Post
Sure.

Take your typical rock band. Loud and amplified. I think you'd struggle to find a fingerpicker who could play lead solos at high speed for a sustained period of time, where it would be advantageous versus using a pick. Nor do I think the clarity would shine through. Same with a bluegrass acoustic fingerpicker. My opinion (which is only opinion, remember) is that a PICK enables a guitarist to consistently play LOUDER and CLEARER when other instruments are competing for sound.

Having said all that, I probably have more overall respect for a talented fingerstyle player than a single pick guitarist. I just think he's going to shine a little better if his music is softer and more subtle.

Generally speaking, of course.
Addressing just the volume/loudness/clearness issue of competing with the other instruments.....it's in the mix. If the fingerpicker isn't as loud in that band situation you are using, then just turn his volume up. "Soft" in that situation is controlled by the sound guy, not how the strings are picked. Doyle Dykes, Tommy Emmanuel, Jerry Reed, Tommy Jones, Buster B Jones, Thom Bresh, Paco de Lucia, Paco Pena, Wayne Henderson, Stanley Jordon, Martin Taylor, Martin Simpson, Don Ross, Joe Pass etc, etc, etc all play fast leads fingerstyle at length.

Last edited by David Hilyard; 05-04-2009 at 04:16 PM.