View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjunky View Post
I would like to start playing ukulele, but have no idea what brand to buy or where to look for one...

I don't want a toy but would like to stay in the 100-500$ budget to start... I will see later if I need to invest in something handmade...

Any recomandation of a good brand sold in Canada or USA?

Should I go with soprano or concert size?

Thanks!
The `ukulele is a complicated subject, but we can simplify if we only talk about the current common configurations.

The soprano, concert, and tenor all use the same tuning on different scale lengths. The baritone uses an even longer scale and a lower tuning.

Each size has its fans -

the soprano is cute, fun, inexpensive, has a classic `ukulele sound. The number of frets is limited, as is the space between frets.

the concert has a bit more room between the frets and often a slightly "warmer" sound.

the tenor has the most room between the frets, most frets available, but costs more and has a more guitaristic sound than the classic soprano, especially if the low G is used instead of the reentrant G.

You can get a pretty nice uke for your budget. The suggestion of a Fluke is not at all bad, but you absolutely need to try one first, because the neck shape is a bit odd for many guitarists (and ukists). At the lower end of your budget laminated Kala and Lanikai ukes can hold their own if you get a good one. At the upper end you can find all solid instruments under the Pono http://www.koolauukulele.com/pono.html#guitar and Bushman Jenny.

The Pono site includes a long list of dealers: http://www.koolauukulele.com/ponodel.html

Here's a wacky idea for you, though. If you think a soprano might be fun, try to snag a Maccaferri Islander. I swear mine surprises everyone who picks it up, they go for well under your budget, they're classic, they're collectible!!

Well, maybe not that collectible <grin>.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog