View Single Post
Old 07-12-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Ibex purfling cutters are very difficult to use.

Have you asked any friends if they have a router? IF they do then you could make or purchase an end guide that will work like a charm. You might also consider buying a Dremel since they have many uses other then guitar making.

Or do you still have a router but think it's not the right tool for the job?

Anyway you would not need to fill the binding channel. Are you using any books for this job? If not search around online and you will find plenty of tutorials for cutting purfling channels.

If you have the router then you are 90% the way there.

The mortise can be cut by hand but again if you have a router then it makes light work.
Ok so I think I have a dremel and I have looked at the end guide online. As Alan stated usually you do the purfling first so unsure if the guide would follow the channel or the side of the instrument.

I would also need the right bit/bearing? I think I would be more comfortable with the dremel just because it is a little lighter and less intimidating.

On the other hand all I need is a repair tech to do the top purfling, how much could it cost? Compared to buying the tools. But it does seem more doable than before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Carruth View Post
This job can be done with a jury rigged marking gauge, a sharp chisel, and a file or two.It takes time and some skill, but it's the way it was always done before people had plug-in tools. Normally in that case you'd mark the purfling line on the top first, take that down, and then mark the binding line, so at this point you're bass ackwards. A shallow gauge that runs on the binding rabbet would work. I'd make one by sticking a guide pin into a stick sideways, to guide on the rabbet, with a sharp two sided cutter to mark the top at the right distance, if I had to do that.
Yup Bass ackwards, I thought simple in the beginning and got more ambitious. So yeah the guage that runs on the binding channel instead would work. I have used the purfling cutter once before and had pretty good results.
I like a mosaic style inlay banding for purfling but its always wide and hard to bend. I used a 7/32 wide before and that was about as difficult as I can imagine. Is there a width for a top purfling that is inlayed that is reasonable to bend or it depends on the construction type and wood?