View Single Post
Old 07-16-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman52 View Post
yep! and i thought my $35 bluechip pick was expensive!

I've also found a really cool site and resource for me, i wanted to share in case any other beginner texas fiddler found this thread and was looking for a good teacher.

http://www.totfa.org/newsletters/teachers.htm

I've decided to visit one of these guys for a lesson instead of my orginal choice. Reason being is that the first teacher i found seems to be more classical leaning, but also enjoys old time.

These guys seem to be old time first musicians so i think they will be of more help to me. The site has also opened my eyes to "texas old time fiddle music" distinct from texas swing. Very interesting and seems to be the direction i would like to take. Especially as it borrows (and created) alot of the same old time tunes i already know, but has a certain texas flavor to them that i really like.
Cool site, thanks for sharing. I say don't be afraid to experiment with teachers. Taking a few lessons with a classical-oriented teacher isn't a bad thing... they are usually sticklers for mechanics, and the things you learn about bowing and fingering are readily transferrable to other styles. Again, it's a little different from guitar in that regard; playing classical guitar may not help you with, say, bluegrass. But for violin it will.
One of my favorite players is Mark O'Connor. He has played American music styles with the very best... but at heart, he's a serious classical-style player.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique