View Single Post
Old 02-05-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
I am impressed with the speed of your work.

It looks like a piece you can be pleased with for a long time.

Congrats!
It actually turned out not too bad given the few setbacks. I need to swap out the tuners, even with dressing them up they are not even good enough for this guitar. A few frets need attention and then the saddle and nut then I will be closing the book on this one. I thought I would be giving it to a buddy that wants a guitar by me to hang on the wall. He also saw a guitar made of hockey sticks (electric) but I just had a thought. If I got enough broken sticks I bet I could laminate them together and make an acoustic. I just have to get enough sticks. Nah, I could do it but it would take too much time. Mind you it would be an interesting project to do for our Children's Hospital, raffle it off. This is a hockey town it might go for a few bucks. Get it autographed but a bunch of players. Why do I keep thinking up work for myself?

As far as little all spruce guitars I am building, I am back on a Martin size 5 guitar I started about a year ago. I just got the dovetail neck done on it and need to slot the fretboard. What the heck, I have the pictures online so why not. I found this piece of wood in the better pine rack in Home Depot although it does not seem like pine to me. It is not too unusual in that it is well quartered but the grain count is crazy. The one end is three grains per inch. I just had to make a guitar out of it.

Looked like it was enough to do the top, back and sides.

The neck is from a 2" x 6".

This one I can get my hand in the soundhole. No need to though, it is lightly built. And another project in the picture. I just noticed I must have taken this picture with the box sitting on one of the amps I built. The chassis is sticking its nose out reminding me I wanted to rebuild it. I want to try a different circuit configuration.

A better shot of the grain. Bound in maple.

It has a piece of 1/8" aluminum which I think was around 1/2" deep as a truss rod.

A baked Jatoba fretboard, I am going to cheat a little and use a bought bridge. I have too many projects to finish, not doing the bridge will not bother me. Actually I could not find a piece of wood that matches the baked Jatoba and I would have to wait weeks for the wood to regain its moisture content. Mind you by the time I finish building and doing the finish it will be weeks, I'll have to mull that over.