View Single Post
Old 05-29-2021, 05:07 AM
Charter Member

Default Stephen Eden Nylon Crossover

Over the years I have bought (and sold) a number of classical instruments but have never got on with them. The combination of very wide (and flat) fretboard and an aesthetic that makes them look like they came from a workshop in 19th century Spain has always mean that they haven't hung around long.

Whilst I have no desire to play "classical" guitar music (as, being an ex-violinist, the guitar repertoire all seems rather bland and repetitive) I do have an itch to have a different tonal palette to play with.

So, the choice seemed to either buy a "good" factory made crossover such as a Furch or Breedlove and recognise that the performance wouldn't be brilliant, or buy an outstanding crossover by someone like Jost von Huene (as played by Jule Malischke) or Christina Kobler (as played by Sönke Meinen)...but both of them have that awful "classical" rectangle profile bridge which would just annoy me.

So, the respected classic builder Stephen Eden is going to make something totally different (for him) and is about to start the build!

The specs are going to be:

- minimal appointments
- flamed maple binding
- simple bwb purfling
- plain rosette (still under consideration)
- no back stripe
- Venetian cutaway
- 650mm scale
- c. 47 mm nut
- IRW back and sides
- moon spruce front
- fan braced
- modern looking bridge
- interesting headstock profile
- French polished finish

It will be constructed to work with hard tension nylon strings so it feels more like a steel strung instrument.

I will keep you all posted!

Any input and comments would be most welcome as it's a lot easier to change things at this stage!
Martin OM-28 Authentic '31
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster
National Delphi Resonator

YouTube

Past guitars from: Mear & Gray, Tom Sands, Stefan Sobell, Dana Bourgeois, Marc Beneteau, Nigel Forster, Peter Abnett, Avalon, Lowden, Martin (vintage & modern), Gibson, Taylor, Yamaha, Fender and more...

Last edited by Adamski; 06-24-2021 at 07:13 AM.