Thread: 4 mics compared
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 04:51 AM

Doug, very nice tune and playing.

I listened to the clips several times using my laptop and MDR7506 for monitoring as I sip my first coffee of the morning. Not an ideal monitoring situation, but one that I am familiar with.

At first listen I was surprised at how little difference there was in the different clips. They are distinct, but none came across as a real golden tack, or dog.

On more careful listening I was able to discern subtle differences between the Brauner and the Schoeps (both are warm, with nice detail), with the Schoeps my first pick.

I actually preferred both the KM184 and AT2020! They each exhibited more detail, and a more satisfying listening experience, for me. It could be the time of day, the monitoring situation, or a hundred other reasons, but if I were faced with a purchase decision based on only these tests I would be shelling out a lot less cash than I would if I was basing my decision on reputation alone.

One thing that may have skewed my tests was the presence of considerable noise on the left channel of the Brauner clips. It was more noticeable on the comparisons with the Schoeps and KM184.