Thread: Lava Me 3
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2022, 05:11 AM

I have an Emerald X20 but honestly I don't feel comfortable carrying around a guitar that costs more than 3k euros, despite being made of carbon. I know how much I had to sweat to save and buy it. So, having a carbon guitar at home and walking around with a wooden guitar, even though I loved my little Taylor GS MIni very much, seemed counterintuitive to me, so I looked for a 'small' one that had the same size, scale and cost of the GS Mini but that it was made of carbon. During black friday I paid for it just over 600 bucks (the previous version, Lava Me 2, however with the internal pickup + delay/chorus/flanger). I haven't found any carbon guitar (or similar) so cheaply priced. I was surprised, little Taylor sounds better, but not so much as to say no to this swap. In this pandemic time I no longer go out as before but when I can, I take the Lava Me 2 without worrying about leaving it in the car or letting a friend play it and I assure you that it is fun and not a toy as it may seem. It is pleasant to the touch and fun to play, has a good sustain and sounds good with the right strings! My beloved X20 can stay safe in my small home studio. Of course these Lava also have some flaws: the shape is pseudo-ergonomic but it could have been better (without the belt it tends to slip in some positions) but above all it does not have a truss rod. By patiently filing the bridge saddle I managed to have a more than perfect action. but having the truss rod would have been useful. Other than that I find no other major flaws for a guitar that I paid a reasonable price. This new Lava Me 3 has the advantage of being produced in two different sizes 36 "and 38" and have a thousand more features. Who knows if they added the truss rod, I can't find the information, but they also doubled the price of the Lava Me 2 and this takes away any thought of updating my purchase from the previous year. I do not even take it into consideration Lava Me pro model. Last thing I think it is fair to add is that Lava's customer service, obviously located in China, responds quickly and solves problems. I called them to find out which bridge saddle is installed in order to buy a replacement in case my modification damaged it: they sent me a spare saddle for free, arrived in 3 days with DHL at their expense. Chapeau!