View Single Post
Old 01-13-2022, 08:28 AM

For the last several months I've been going to a monthly acoustic barn jam.

About 10-15 of us show up each session. We sit in a circle and take turns calling songs. The person who called the song either shares the chord progressions, or they pass out a chart with the chords & lyrics. They are expected to lead the playing & singing. We give everyone who wants to a chance to solo while the rest of us comp.

It works out that if everyone prepares two songs then we can go around the circle twice in about two hours. It's a lot of fun.

So far I've been content to take a pass when it was my turn to call. I normally just sit there and strum lightly with my fingers, so I get drown out by people strumming with picks "and no one can hear how badly I play."

It can occasionally be a challenge. For example, someone might call "Pirate Looks at 40, key of G, watch me for the changes." If enough people nod, then we start playing. Then I have to sit there and strum, looking at the left hand of the guy across from me, and try to figure out if he's fingering a G or a C, and anticipate the next change.

For the last several sessions the gang has been encouraging me to prepare something. It's pushed me to work on flat picking arpeggios and bass walkdowns. For the next jam I hope to lead the group by playing Cocaine Blues, Johnny Cash-style. This has really pushed me to focus my practice sessions and work with a metronome.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple