View Single Post
Old 01-11-2022, 03:26 PM

I used to do live sound for a living (before my ears gave out). Mostly I was at the sound board, but I also did load ins and load outs as a regular stage hand on larger shows for extra money. I learned from that that not everything you see in a big show is as it seems!

Often that “rack of guitar amps” that you see in the rock and Christian rock shows is really just a stage prop. A single monolith that is bolted together to be easily moved with a forklift. It would look like a rack of Mesa Boogie (or whatever the sponsorship deal was) amps from the front, but from the back you could see that it was just a mostly empty large frame with a single speaker in one corner. The brand on that one speaker would be something like EV. Utilitarian and easy to replace if it got damaged.

I agree with Bob that shows like this are not about producing the best audio. Most of us play in smaller venues where feedback, quick loading, and using particular sponsored equipment that we may not actually like are not concerns. Many of us actually get far better acoustic guitar sound than what is practical in a large venue.