Thread: ivoroid binding
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2005, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Ivorois binding isn't new.

From Frets.com:

"Unless you're looking at a Martin guitar made before World War I, that ivory colored binding is almost certainly "ivoroid," a form of celluloid plastic.

Celluloid has been around for more than 100 years and is the most commonly used plastic material for binding and pickguards on stringed instruments.

Much of the celluloid was made to resemble natural materials like pearl, ivory or tortoise shell. The ivory celluloid was trademarked with names like "ivoroid," "French ivory," "ivorine" and a host of others.

Here's a sheet of ivoroid, fabricated into a raised fingerrest for a Gibson A-3 mandolin, circa 1920:..."

The rest of the article is here: http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Gene...d/ivoroid.html

It's actually a vintage material. It also has a softer, warmer look. I had it on my XXX-MC and thought it looked great - certainly not cheap. But it also takes being a bit closer to it - otherwise, it looks like regular old plastic because you can't see the grain in it.

It's also expensive stuff. For my money, I generally prefer wood, but think that ivoroid can provide a very nice contrast that's not as harsh as white plastic.

Just my opinion.

Wade

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes