View Single Post
Old 01-25-2019, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
I find the Pro-Pik comfortable, but the actual pick is so short I can't use it. The BC, on the other hand, is quite long. Longer than I would design, but I have no trouble with it in use.
If you like the Pro-Pik but like a longer blade, check out Red Bear. They use the Pro-Pik band but put their own blades on it, made of casein rather than plastic. AND they're longer - not by a lot, around 2mm or a little less on the medium, but it's noticeable. I like 'em short and Dave at Red Bear was willing to make a second one for me the length of the Pro-Pik (and I was able to file the first one down to match it), and my guess is he might be willing to make them a little longer than normal also.

The Red Bear with the Pro-Pik band is by far my favorite thumb pick of those I've tried and I've tried quite a few, although I've missed some. But I like it enough that I've stopped looking at others. Oddly, Most large thumb picks are really tight on my thumb (Blue Chip is an exception) and I'd never seen a medium I could even come close to fitting, but the Pro-Pik / Red Bear medium fits me perfectly. They claim they fit similarly to other standard thumb pick sizes, but that's not my experience at all.

I tried a Blue Chip but because I like them short, I filed it down and then the rivets holding the blade to the band were too close to the end and I was catching the rivets on the strings from time to time when I was playing. Not all that much, but enough to be irritating. The Pro-Pik / Red Bear has the rivets farther back, so no such problems with those.