View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 09:06 AM

I find it a little bit ridiculous to suggest that someone is a lesser player because they use a capo. Look at all the famous guitarists that use capo's! Most of the singer/songwriter/folk artists use capo's because they want a particular sound and in a particular key. There is nothing lesser about that. The capo also lets you do things that you couldn't by playing chords without a capo in a key that you want.

There are certain genre's of music where capo's might not work well. But, there are also many genre's where capo's are often necessary to create the sound you want. So, in the end it's a ridiculous assumption. It's like suggesting that anyone who plays full-barre chords is a lesser player because they don't know how to play the cowboy chord version or vice versa. They all have their place.

If you use a capo as a crutch, maybe you are limited. But, one could say the same thing about a jazz artist that only plays certain forms of 7th chords. Neither is wrong. Both could potentially be limiting.

I can't stand guitar snobs and people who constantly look down on others who don't do what they do. If all these snobs are so great, why aren't they all famous? Over and over you see people playing simple things creating great music. If you go by his guitar playing alone, who would have ever thought that someone like John Prine could be famous if you use the capo standard?

Don't listen to crazy folk who say things like this. Everyone should play to make beautiful music, not to compare the size of your *ego*.

My opinion..
Martin
Gibson J-45 Standard 2020