View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishrep View Post
There is a noticeable difference in action when I put medium strings on my touring verses light strings. The original designer for CA guitars helped develop the McPherson carbon versions. I also had a Composite Acoustic OX but I sold it. I had issues that the neck developed a bow that I could not adjust. I also had issues with the bracing loosening and rattling on the open A string. Back to the factory twice (while it was open) before it was acceptable. After that experience, I try to buy guitars that can be slightly tweaked if needed. The touring is a very responsive guitar- that is why the bass is strong. Mcpherson knows how to work with harmonics to get the most out of that small box. I feel it would be perfect if it had some adjustment to account for different strings - regardless of what the manufacturer says.
If you want a small guitar that sounds more like a big one- get the touring.
When I look inside both my Touring and my Cargo, the bracing looks as if it is part of the molded top, rather than separate pieces glued on. The OX is a different model that came along after the Cargo was introduced, and I think CA Guitars may have done various changes in the design. So it is entirely possible that the braces were treated differently in that design.

Since the changes I made between the strings that were on my Touring when I bought it, and the strings I currently use, I would not have experienced the changes in action that you did. You do make interested points worth exploring. I never use medium gauge strings myself because I am after "easy play", but maybe somebody else here might be willing to try it. The strings I use now do have medium gauge top three strings as I described in an earlier post, but I have not noticed any changes in action.

I do believe thought that, according to the youtube NAMM interview, the Touring neck is much stronger than the Cargo neck and therefore may possibly not flex. At least, that is McPherson's claim.

As for the quality problems you experienced, I have three original Cargos and none have given me any trouble. I know that CA Guitars had QC issues, and I also know that Marty at the then Podium inspected each guitar that came in and sent several back for that reason. So the Cargos I bought were pre-inspected specifically for those kinds of issues. There are "good ones" and "not-so-good-ones" floating around out there, depending on whether the shop folks purchased their guitars from did such inspection or not.

I have yet to hear of problems with a McPherson. They seem to have a very solid manufacturing process.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...