View Single Post
Old 11-15-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo21 View Post
Thanks very much for the reply — it sounds encouraging.

Could I ask; If a straight edge placed on the frets and then up to the bridge, am I correct in saying that if the edge of the straight edge falls below the plane of the bridge it is concrete evidence that a reset is due?
It depends on where your straight edge is starting and how much relief is in the neck; if it's got a lot of bow it'll lift the nut end of your straight edge and drop the other end. I normally just eye-ball it. Taylor has a half-way useful article here:

https://www.taylorguitars.com/suppor...oms-wet-guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo21 View Post
According to Frets.com an additional measurement can be taken where you measure the distance between the soundboard and the bottom of the strings at the bridge and if that measurement is less than 1/2 inch then it is good evidence a reset is needed.

Many Thanks.
I would have thought that was far too much of a broad-brush statement to be making, and I don't agree with it at all; it completely depends on neck angle, fretboard thickness, action and a bunch of other stuff i've not though of. My brand-new (like I literally got it yestreday) Gibson custom shop hummingbird needs a neck reset according to that. It's just under half an inch from strings to soundboard at the bridge. It also has an action of about 2.5mm at the 12th fret, so if I brought it down to you 2.3mm it'd be even "worse".

Honestly you guitar sound fine. I wouldn't bother trying to get that last 0.2mm out of it, but sounds like you easily could.

Last edited by RalphH; 11-15-2019 at 10:14 AM.