View Single Post
Old 10-18-2019, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Can't do that. Although the work is a big mix of tax/accounting/common sense, the big battle with bringing in someone new is adaption to the work flow and client familiarity.
I admire your mind set in this. Give him a little more than reasonable notice, offer to help with selecting/interviewing your replacement, and offer to have him/her "sit next to Nellie" a British term (?) which means training up your replacement, and maybe manage it so that you start reducing your hours, so the "last day" and first month of retirement aren't such terrible shocks - I know it can be for many.

for me, I left a 20 year career at 45 which was a terrible shock and the start of a pretty terrible period of unemployment but some time later I got another position in a very different (government funded) organisation for seven years until they made me "redundant" partly because I was earning too much and mainly because the politically driven ethos was changing away from service quality to making up statistics.

I was quickly "headhunted" by a business partner (Local government) who very similar project manager for a few months until the funding was reduced and couldn't afford my salary. I took over the project and ran it self employed, working progressively less until the last year, I worked totally at home from 9 a.m. to 1.p.m then simply switched off the computer and phones, so at the end - it was simply a matter of starting my leisure day a few hours earlier - albeit a couple of years earlier than planned.

Other friends felt that the "act" of retirement was like falling off a cliff edge.

So, a soft "glide" path, might be better for your employer, your replacement and you.