View Single Post
Old 08-17-2015, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Hi Knives,

I listened to the recording you posted of the Octavas. I own a couple myself so am familiar with them and think that for what they sell for, they're pretty good sounding mics.

My experience is that mics are not as significant as you seem to believe. Of much greater significance is the player, the guitar, the pick or condition of the fingerpicks or nails, the strings, mic placement. the space it's recorded in and so on. And then there's reverb that was added to the recording.

Get mics you can afford, that have been well reviewed by others and then, like Doug said, spend, "many many many hours experimenting".

There really isn't some magical, "open" mic.
Well, you are trying to destroy this child's belief in magic! ha ha..I love magic...and I love a good fairy tale with a happy ending.
I have been in several professions & accuracy sports, involving products and extreme experimentation. And in all cases...everything makes a difference..You are absolutely right..Believe me...I agree with you ten thousand percent on that issue. You would not believe the extreme I have gone to=to get my guitar to sound the way it does. Everything makes a difference.
But I do have some recording background..it was from the 80's...but I did have some knowledge back then. I owned Neumanns(U87) and was involved in some recording studios.. I did produce a little bit(but not in a big way..but I do have some experience)..and you could never get me to believe that Microphone isn't very, very important.
And yes..you can get a very good sounding recording with very inexpensive mics..Heck..I gotten a reasonable sound from an old boom box with a built in mic.. And with today's inboard reverbs, eqs, limiters...the world is at your fingertips...
But I am not asking for a very good recording. I am asking for something more than that..the best I can get with the price range I have.
If everything makes a difference..then it would be pretty hard for me to believe that Mics don't make as much difference.
the old, old saying which I am sure you have heard a hundred times before...Your fence is only as good as its weakest link. So sure...picks, room sound, preamps, player, guitar all of those are part of the fence...I just don't want the microphone to be the weak link.
So, I will kept chasing fairy tales and believing in Magic. When fingers cross the strings...that is magic.