View Single Post
Old 09-23-2021, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Ray, the Elixir nano 80/20 12's is not a bad way to start. Seems best to use a string that is a little on the bright side on the Sable, otherwise it can be a little dull. It will be interesting to see what Buzzard finds too....looking forward to hearing your thoughts on your test drive !
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
I'm very familiar with your woods, that is a very tall order indeed. I would have a hard time letting either of those go too. Please let us know how the Sunbeams work, I have not tried them on the Sable.
Sable test drive got somewhat short circuited. I’d ordered one a while back through Guitar Center, not expecting it until October at the earliest. I’ve been visiting family in Oregon for the past couple of weeks and, much to my surprise, I got a notice that the order was shipped and then was ready for pickup at my local store (in tax-free Delaware). So I figured I’d get it on Sunday or Monday, try a few sets of strings, and decide whether to keep it.

But while in Eugene, I stopped into Mackenzie River Music, a shop I’ve heard a lot about, and, again to my surprise, there was a Sable hanging on the wall. Well, I’ve been by there a few times since, played it a few times, and concluded it’s a fine guitar I may well own someday, but no WAY it was gonna displace either of my current wood guitars. If my living and visiting situation (we spend four months each winter away from home) was such that having three acoustics made any sense at all, I’d probably buy one once I could afford to without selling one of my wooden guitars. But for at least the next couple years, two acoustics is my max, and the Sable isn’t gonna be one of the two. I like my CEO-7 and 000-28EC way too much to sell either and nothing about the Sable made me think seriously about doing so. So I “returned” the Sable to Guitar Center over the phone without ever picking it up.

A couple quick observations. The neck on the Sable does indeed have a subtle V to it and the satin-like finish on the back of the neck felt great. But it’s not nearly as meaty a neck as either of my Martin’s, and I didn’t like it near as much. The Sable is freaking HEAVY for an acoustic guitar - felt more like one of my electrics. It sounded good and I’m sure I could dial it in to be something I’d like a lot with the right set of strings, but I didn’t find out if I’d like 12s on it or not - that’ll be for another day / year.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I’d been discussing this here and didn’t think this short circuit needed it’s own thread…

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 09-23-2021 at 09:03 PM.