View Single Post
Old 09-18-2021, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Maybe i'm taking this comment to literally...but "suffers a lot" is over stating it. There's a noticeable difference, but I didn't find it a deal breaker or anything. I agree with steelvibe that the trick may be finding a medium set with less tension. Or try the HD lights, they seemed fine for me. I have the D'Addario NB mediums on mine now and I don't notice the sore fingers like I do with other sets. I have no idea about the tension specs on those strings.
I guess my point is that nobody who’s responded here seems to be playing the Sable with 12s, voting with their feet so to speak. I play both Sunbeams and Monels in light gauge on guitars with 24.9” scales. Both are notoriously low in tension and easy on the fingers. I’d think moving up to mediums AND doing so on a full scale guitar will increase tension a notable amount, but I’m gonna have to be prepared to try. I’ll likely try a set of light sunbeams and medium sunbeams to compare both feel and sound. I may do the same with Monels, but my experience has been that I’m happier with Sunbeams than Monels on carbon fiber guitars. So I’ll probably start there, particularly given David’s glowing review of the Medium Sunbeams on the Sable…

-Ray