View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 02:33 AM

Default Sitka Spruce/Rosewood combos by Furch - any real difference or just bling bling?

So almost every time I could get my hand on one of those Furch Sitka/RW dreads/GAs, I've been blown away by the tone clarity and the general balance of the guitars. Nothing I've played so far was quite able to match that.

Furch currently has eight diferent Sitka/RW guitars in its lineup:

-Vintage 1 SR
-Vintage 2 SR
-Vintage 3 SR
-Green SR
-Yellow SR
-Orange SR
-Red Pure SR
-Red SR

I've created an Excel spreadsheet with all the specs provided by Furch itself on its website to check for any "real" differences between said guitars. This is what I've come up with (I'm using the Vintage 1 as a baseline since it's actually the cheapest out of those 8 in Germany):

I'm no expert, but to me this looks like the difference between these guitars is probably less about fundamental things that actually influence the tone and more about visual aspects. E.g. Vintage 1 and Green top and back/sides are classified as "AA", the rest is "AAA" or "master grade". Afaik, that's not the "tonal quality" of the wood but a grade for its aesthetical value, ie AAA is prettier than AA.

Is this all there is to it or is there more that is responsible for the 1.400 € gab between the Vintage 1 and the Red?