View Single Post
Old 04-11-2021, 04:48 PM

I have actually gone through the build process before. I had Walter Johnson of “June” mandolins and guitars build a custom mandolin based on one I played in Nashville. Although the mandolin was “late” by a couple of weeks (and, to be clear, I use parentheses because I don’t consider 2-3 weeks of delay late, that is just the vagaries associated with a hand built instrument); I was never concerned one iota about delivery.

But, I wonder, what would I do if it had been very late, and if there had been no evidence of progress? Walter was awesome about keeping me up to date with the build; the delay had to do with curing the finish during a very wet and humid period in South Carolina (and if you know anything about SC, you know it is wet and humid). What if I never received updates and pictures of the build as it progressed?

I think from a personal perspective, custom builds and the processes associated with a custom are just not for me. There is very little I cannot get, “off the rack” so to speak, but just to clarify my intentions, I have been considering having a custom hardtail Strat style electric built because it’s something Fender only offers as either a MIM Robert Cray Strat or a Custom Shop RC Strat, so that’s why I am thinking about this and why all the handwringing and teeth gnashing.