View Single Post
Old 07-26-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
I am right with you there. Nearly all the guitars I own and play are smaller than dreadnought.
But as a tonewood supplier, I consider it a shame to build smaller guitars from dreadnought size wood. It not only wastes wood, but it wastes money. With available logs getting ever smaller and smaller, it is a continual struggle to get wood suitable to make the larger sizes of backs, sides, and tops.
I also make amps and cabinets using pine. I wanted to build a 4x10 Fender Bassman sized cabinet and I had a board wide enough to make the back and sides but the cabinet is angles and the top is narrower and I could get away with a 10" board rather than a 12". I try to use knot free wood and while I had another 12" that I could have trimmed for the top I ran out and bought a 10" rather than waste the section of 12". Clean 12" boards do not show up around here all that much, 10" either actually.

I understand your concern using the most of wood especially if it is hard to come by, just giving a different option in case vibrolucky was thinking of less than Dred size, I think it looks better if the grain running parallel if I can get away with it. I have a 10" and a 12", 8' by 1" old growth Mahogany boards that I am saving for when I feel I am ready to build with. At first I thought to resaw them but then thought of them for necks. If I can get my resaw skills up to snuff they might end up as back and side sets yet