View Single Post
Old 06-16-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexsblues View Post
I'm currently in the market for a J45, and I'm curious what you guys think is the best years of modern J45 standards? When I say "modern" I'm essentially talking about 1990 to the present. I've heard some models made in the 90s are great, but I've also tried one from 97 with the block logo/banner headstock and felt that it was too heavy and didn't have a great sound. What years are your favorite?
I am a big fan of the Ren Ferguson Gibson's of the late 1990's...say 96' to 99'/2000 all models.

For one...I think morale was super high in the Bozeman plant at that point, and also ALL of the guitar makers...factory, boutique factory, solo luthier had some really really fantastic tonewoods at that point, especially Sitka Spruce. There was just some stellar Sitka Spruce being used at that point, some really nice old growth, light and stiff, and vibrant Sitka with high levels of silking and gorgeous color.

There was also some absolutey stellar real actual old growth Indian Rosewood, and still some black, dense, very tight pored Gaboon and Madagascar Ebony being used.

Martin, Taylor, Gibson, Guild all had supplies of these great woods and were just building some fantastic guitars in that 1990 to 2000 era, but especially to me, in the 1994 to 1999 range...just best of the best caliber.

If I were looking for a late model Gibson, I would be looking 1995 to 1999 range myself.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher