View Single Post
Old 11-22-2020, 10:22 AM

Chiming in here, because I remember reading this thread last month when I was thinking about a KM184. After much consideration, the most recent mic I bought is a used KM184 for about $520 with shipping, so I thought I'd report in on my findings. I'm favoring it over my other SDCs for the finger style stuff I do. What I like about it:

-Unique to this mic (within my little collection) is the way it handles the attack of a string plucked with my fingernail. I really like it. It's not too soft/poofy and not too hard/glassy/or piercing.... just sits perfectly. It's not something I was able to pick up on in any of the on-line comparisons. But comparing it first hand with my other mics, this little pleasantry is a unique quality of this mic. If this mic has any magic, for me, this is where it is. Didn't even know I was missing it until I found it.
-It's a bit less phasey when moving it around than other SDCs and certainly LDCs. Very easy to get a great sound with it, whereas some other mics have a smaller placement window where they will sound good... and sometimes you can hear the sound bouncing around under the mic grill.
-Perhaps a tad more body or larger sounding than my other SDCs. Not quite into LDC territory, but not small sounding either.
-A pretty good value all things considered for the price... especially used. No, it's not a Schoeps or DPA, but it doesn't cost as much either.

I would list what I don't like about it as well, but I can't really think of anything. I guess it could have some switches or stuff, but switches or no, I'm liking it better than my other SDCs with switches.

So for the SDCs, and for what I do I have it like this:
KM184 > SM81 > AKG460 and NT4

I still like my LDCs (KSM44, and C414XLS) and I still like a 57 now and then on the bridge/body. Right now I'm favoring the KM184 on the neck and the C414XLS on the body, but that may change some depending on what guitar I'm working with and what I'm trying to do.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc