View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Joe, nice playing. I don't know how much critique you're looking for, but I have couple of suggestions for your track.

The original track's levels are very low. If you're recording at 24 bits, it's not a deal breaker, but I'd try to get a little more level. Your peak amplitude is around -20db, and your average is around -37db. I'd shoot for -6 db or so peak.

There's something wonky going on with phase. Both your original and mastered tracks make my ears spin a bit :-), and analysis tools tell me you have the two tracks about 120 degrees out of phase, in a pattern I haven't actually seen before. How are you micing the guitar?

The mastered track has some obvious compression artifacts, and sounds kind of zingy, a tad metallic to my ears, tho this is all a matter of taste. It's aggravated by the phase issue.

The biggest issue is the phase problem in the original. Fix that, and you'll find that getting a good sound in the mastering/mixing stage gets way easier!
Doug,

Thanks for taking your time to do the math on this one. I can't really hear enough of the first one to make any valid comparisons.

Joe, nice playing and I like the tune, but why are you recording at such a low level? And yes there's some "surround" stuff going on which you may like, but it would be nice to hear a more direct sound.

It reminds me of people who get fascinated by the "stairwell effect." Similar to recording in the bathroom, stairwell recording is recording in a stairwell because of all of the hard parallel surfaces. This is usually considered a "beginners fascination" and over time, most look back and say, "what was I thinking?" We all have done it. It's part of experimenting with sound.

Regards,

Ty Ford