View Single Post
Old 07-31-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
...from my experience, too much tension on the JLD doesn't work anyway. When installed where the rod just touches the tail block plus a 1/4 turn or so, it seemed to improve the tone. Too much pressure and it seemed to dampen the tone and I actually split one of the Bridge doctors by going too far once.
Thanks for that insight, Bryan. Yikes. Better to split the Bridge Doctor than some aspect of your guitar. I have no experience in the matter, but apparently tightening the JLD device very gradually (spanning multiple days) while actively humidifying might enable more movement of the device's rod and the guitar's top, while lessening the likelihood of damage.

But having read JonWint's comments I see that the most important factor is whether or not the bridge has tipped downward toward the sound hole. I have to find a straightedge to place upon the spruce top that will fit between the bridge and just shy of the top edge of the soundhole. If it dips into the hole any noticeable amount, the JLD might help.

At this point, the spruce top looks to be flat from bridge to fretboard, so the JLD Bridge Doctor may be irrelevant.

Last edited by BothHands; 08-01-2021 at 08:19 AM.