View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
Why don't people just learn the interval pattern and play that everywhere no matter what note they start on or what the note names are? I'm really asking. I can derive all the note names in any key or scale, but I don't understand why people would memorize which notes are sharps and flats just to play the scale, because the interval pattern is the same no matter what key it's in.
Do you read staff notation well? I'm genuinely curious. This seems pretty much backwards from the way a reader would see things -- and not just guitarists, either. If you're reading, of course you need to know where the notes are, and especially where the sharps and flats are.

Most of my students do not read staff notation, but I recommend (even insist) that they learn the names of the natural notes in first position. It allows them to understand the theory in a more formal way, without having to memorize the entire fretboard. And it makes understanding movable chords and scales much easier. And, of course, the CAGED perspective is all about the 1st position.

So, I guess that's why people do it?

Last edited by Guitar Slim II; 10-13-2017 at 12:15 PM.