View Single Post
Old 03-14-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Adaptive parametric EQ
I "think" the adaptative EQ from TC is basically a mid boost and a low cut with a frequency that is tuned with respect to the vocals. I guess it detects if it is a male or female voice and then adjust the frequency.

For the "ambiance", here are my 2 cents:
If your guitar is rosewood, I would had a very short reverb or delay to replicate the guitar "box". The slight delay will increase the perception of bass and give that metallic resonance rosewood have. (Rosewood is said to reflect sound very well)

If it is mahogany, I would use a shorter reverb, to get the mahogany damping and send it to an AUX channel to have multiband EQ or parametric EQ on the reverb tail. (Mahogany is said to absorb the sound more, but it could depend on frequencies)

I may be totally wrong, but I would try that first... Only a luthier could answer that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Note: I am NOT going to publicly share the specific parameters you need to replicate the Play Acoustic on the forum. Please don't ask me to send them. (Except you Cuki - you're my man.)
Thanks for the offer, I have already my "own thing" with the IR making and few ideas to improve it.

As far as the publication is concerned, I think there is no danger for TC Helicon. TC's Helicon policy is to use DSP to make things simple to people. I think it is very different from TC electronic pedals wich enable via toneprint to tune almost everything. (I consider Bodyrez being a TC helicon product as I think it appeared first in the Play acoustic)

Most mid-price TC Helicon products are as simple as it gets. You push one button, and it does the job. They never claimed to make revolutionary things, they always claimed to put a rack of known FX and the engineer who set them into one pedal with max 3 buttons. People who would look for their parameters to manually tweak FX do not belong to their market target.

I think TC Helicon makes great products, I wish they had manual parametric EQ and convolution reverb with 1.5s IR... I am always frustrated by the limited parameters.

PS: One thing you could do is send me wav files (mic and pickup) so I can make you an IR, and we could "fit" the impulse response with 5 filters. Then I could give you the best approximation you could get for the XR12. That would be fun too. We could probably also determine what would be the correct reverb tail length... Of course I hope the IR will always outperform any Eq-Reverb combination. Somehow, I am quite confident. (although it took me 2 months to make something decent for Doug Young

PS2: I look forward a RMS option in the TC hypergravity pedal. Then you'd be able to tweak your own multiband compressor as in LR Baggs session DI. (which includes peak and RMS compression at different frequencies). RMS compression does not compress with respect to peak but to total energy. So you can have no compression when playing single notes solos and compression when you strum chords... I know usually youd need the opposite. Because compression can make your solo sound more even.

But I have a strange feeling that when you play chords, the top saturates a bit and the mids do not react similarly to single note playing... Could be wrong. Anyway I have to rule out another idea first in my acoustic-electric guitar sound quest

Sorry for the digression.

PS3: Note the XR12 have only 2.4 GHz WIFI frequency, be sure there are not to many WIFI around you when using the XR12. You may experience trouble with the Ipad connection.

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Last edited by Cuki79; 03-14-2017 at 02:18 PM.