View Single Post
Old 11-03-2015, 08:48 AM

For easily EQ-ed pickups, I prefer using my old Fishman Platinum Pro EQ preamps to preamp (when needed) and EQ the pickups. As has been pointed out, many outboard preamps have a lot more useful features that the GE-7, including smoother and more fine-tunable level controls.

However, I have two pickups and an internal mic rig which require EQ adjustments which the Platinum's sweepable midrange and other (more basic) tone controls can't handle very well. For instance, my Headway co-axial UST rig sounds best with a modest mid cut around 800 Hz AND a modest treble cut at 3.2 KHz (as opposed to a more general treble cut). For that specific job, the GE-7 has worked better than the Platinum.

The GE-7 has also been very helpful with my Anthem SL rig and my MiniFlex2Mic rig.

Because the Platinum's level control is so much smoother than the GE-7's, I sometimes use them together (guitar> GE-7> Platinum) with a jumper cable. The downsides of this are that it adds another gain stage and increases the complexity of the setup.