View Single Post
Old 01-15-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
Is the Spire Studio going to be updated by iZotope? Their website says it “may not be available in your area” but that’s been for some months. One site I saw said it had been discontinued?
I don't know if anyone knows the status of the Spire product. I got a survey request late last year and the survey was a fairly extensive what you like/don't like/want to see thing.

My limited experience with the Spire is that it's good hardware, and the idea of using a tablet (or even a phone) for the user interface is a good idea, but that for me (though significantly, not for some other users here!) I found it didn't fit too well into my needs. YMMV.

Here's why the Spire could be what you're looking for:

Unlike the small handheld Zoom devices I've used you could do a good sounding multitrack mix entirely within the Spire app on the tablet/phone. Izotope uses its experience with mixing and mastering software to take a good performance reasonably well recorded and polish it up to sound more like a "professional" job. That's the "secret sauce" in the product. I'm no golden ear, but I think the internal mic is fine and the preamp for another mic or instrument direct in is good.

One could seek out one used on Ebay or Reverb or wherever. Of one could hope that Izotope puts out another batch of them or brings out a Spire 2.0.

For what I do, I find it easier and more flexible to work within a regular computer DAW, even one I know maybe 10% of how to use. Though that's me, it could become you too.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....