Thread: Delivery thread
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2021, 04:58 AM
Charter Member

I'm not a CF user, but have read through this saga with some bemusement.

Firstly regarding delays. I have purchased three guitars from a foreign country (the USA) two from private individuals and one from a dealer in Seattle. That was the only one with issues.
All arrived within a reasonable time... BUT none were in the time of plague!

All delivery facilities, including trucks and airports and aeroplanes are currently affected.

I ordered a pair of thermal gloves for my wife before Christmas and they arrived yesterday (15/1). Normally within 48 hours in the UK. We're still getting Christmas cards!

Many workers are ill or self isolating.

Anything shipped from a non free trade country is subject to the excise duties and local taxes (usually on value of item PLUS shipping costs).

Were I to order a guitar from the USA now (no plans) I would expect to pay the seller the cost of the item (minus local taxes) plus shipping costs. I'd pay by credit card.

On arrival I would expect to pay approx 3-4% excise duties on both item and shipping cost, plus a notional handling charge to the shipper for processing the tax payments, plus 20% VAT on all.

That's the way it is! (the shipper has to collect the taxes/excise on behalf of Customs and Excise).

Prior to this month - I could buy from another EU country, and pay their local VAT, with no extra charges.

Now it would be much the same as buying from the USA.

Payment is always made by phone using credit, debit card or direct bank transfer. - I have no idea what a cashier's cheque is - I don't know of any other country that uses cheques any more!

Lastly. Tracking software enables you to anticipate delivery times within a couple of hours.
However, due to the current situation, delivery drivers ARE NOT PERMITTED to hand items to the receiver - they MUST place them on your doorstep and ring/knock or both and wait a reasonable time.

This is unfortunate but it is a safety measure.

You can leave a note saying where else to leave it, such as a neighbour, behind your bins, or divert it to another address (like your office address, but that can increase delay of course).

Life is difficult, and dangerous for many right now. We need to understand that.

That's it, at ease, smoke if you got 'em.