View Single Post
Old 01-14-2021, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I understand that licensing of a cover song is necessary on Soundcloud. I am asking why someone would record a cover song to post on Soundcloud - and hence have to pay to do so? I can't see why! The SC community is a very closed one - I've never met anyone who is not a musician use it or even mention it. If you are looking to spread your music out publicly, just make a video and post it on youtube.
Humm not sure I understand your point here ? First let me say while I understand that Sound Cloud is primarily populated with songwriters publishing their originals. There are in fact lot's of covers posted to Sound Cloud. And given Sound Cloud uses automatic content ID software and will take down any covers (where the copyright holders have pre requested a block or if the register a block request after finding a cover of their song they want taken down) .
So in a practical sense licensing a cover my not be "necessary" because many copyrights owners may not consider Sound Cloud distribution significant enough or may not feel the cover is an infringement as much as it being free promotion,

And objectively and historically almost all songwriters also do covers of song they like . So maybe the more appropriate question is why wouldn't one post a cover to Sound Cloud ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 01-14-2021 at 10:17 AM.