View Single Post
Old 01-11-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
The X10 has a 1 11/16 inch nut, compound radius. And from Emerald's website: " The effortless neck of an electric...a slim 24-fret neck." I have thought that in the future, of getting a short scale X10 neck on an X7 body.
KarenB,

Perhaps we could compare notes. I'm also interested in a neck more similar to an X10s. I chatted with Chloe before she left about two options; namely, 1) putting a 12 fret, 24" scale X10 neck on an X7 body or 2) putting the same neck just described in option 1, but use an X10 body. She said it would be about $500 cheaper to use the X10 body, based on the way they consider "up charges", but we didn't get into that much detail. My intent was to eliminate the humbucker and use an acoustic style bridge/saddle.

Essentially, I concluded that I couldn't get specific enough information about the neck (e.g., thickness, profile, width, fret spacing, etc.) from Emerald in order to be comfortable enough to order a $3,500 custom, wait half a year, to "hope" it's ok. I'm 5'3" with small hands. Sizing is critical. Perhaps Emerald will publish more precise product information in the future as they continue to mature as a company. For now, there are at least three entirely different "names" Emerald's own employees used to describe the X10's neck profile (smooth C, slim C, flat D, etc.), from my experience. It's almost comical. Names and "to my hand or eye" subjective comments would be irrelevant if Emerald would simply publish the technical specs, including cuts on the necks at say the 1st, 9th and 12th frets and show the profile.

To get a better understanding of their products, I bought a used X7. The neck is too wide for me to play comfortably, so the X7 is gone. Next up, I'm waiting for a 2019 X10 to arrive this Wednesday that I just bought off Reverb. When it arrives, I'll measure it, including the profile using a contouring tool that I have. I'll post that.

One issue with a shorter scale is the closer distance of the frets on the low end of the board, where I spend most of my time. If I reduce the X10 style neck to a 12 or 13 fret, I'd want to reduce the spacing of the frets correspondingly.

PM me if you'd like to compare notes.