View Single Post
Old 01-09-2021, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Default Another critique request

Here's a rough draft of my next recording project. It's a solo fingerstyle arrangement of Joni Mitchell's Both Sides Now. I have some more woodshedding to do to smooth some rough spots and increase the tempo about 10%. Would like feedback on how the recording sounds.

My setup is what I am calling a spaced pair with on one mic pointing at the body/neck junction and one mic pointing at the bridge. The mics are plugged into a Scarlett 2i4 running into Reaper. The mics (KM184) are two separate tracks setup in stereo. The only treatment in the room (10x10 with 8' ceilings, hardwood floors with rug) is the pair of hinged acoustic panels as seen below (3'x6'). I sit with the guitar about 10" from the mics so I guess I am close mic'ing.

Below is the Soundcloud link. The only thing I have done to the raw recording is apply a HPF set at approximately 100 Hz. I adjusted the HPF until I thought bass was a bit smoother and tighter. Other than that, the rest is as recorded. I'm trying to live by the mantra to get the raw recording down where it requires the least amount of post processing.

Thanks again for feedback, very much appreciated on this journey.

Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)