View Single Post
Old 12-25-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
...I no longer recommend the older Mustang line due to Fender's discontinuance of all support, including the forum and patch sharing. Fender stopped updating, and no longer downloads, the FUSE software that is integral to tapping these amps' potential...The Mustangs have had their day...I'm always leery of these electronic-dependent modelers whose makers can make them obsolete overnight in order to push their Next Big Thing, but the Boss amps are cheap enough to consider disposable.
- and that's precisely why I stick with old-school analog gear, whether tube or solid-state...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
...I also have a Bugera V5. It has a headphone jack that, due to the nature of tube amps, has to function as a load simulator/emulator(?) in order to get the amp to produce the sound through the jack. To me, it doesn't sound great (clean or w/gain), or even good, though it is functional to be able to hear the guitar - kind of a dry/quiet/distant sound. I've read others who agree with me, and still others who say the V5 sounds fine with high quality headphones (mine are lower end $75 or so). I like the V5 for its feature set and tube tone, just not crazy about the headphone-out sound, but it does work.

To the OP, you've got a V5 on the way, but it will likely come with a good return policy, so whether it meets your needs is up to you.
It is, it does, and IME it's a case of not only quality but impedance matching: I've got a set of very old Sennheiser and slightly less-old Koss (both 8 ohm) phones that both sound fine - YMMV - and even if you don't use the headphone jack (don't forget it powers down to 0.1W) it's well worth the investment as a practice/small-gig tone machine...