View Single Post
Old 12-22-2020, 09:46 PM

I agree that if you want "good", go the route of separate audio & video and sync after. The actual synchronizing isn't actually that hard, tbh. Some video editing programs will do it for you automatically. If it's a single "live" take, I spend far less time syncing than I do getting the audio balance & effects right, color grading the final video, etc.

One tip--make sure your camera is also recording the audio, even though you won't use it. When you are editing later, go to your clap (filmmakers use those "clapper boards" for a reason!) at the start, and sync the two *audio* tracks. It's really easy to just zoom in and line up the audio spike. Then mute the camera audio.

You can see the process at work in some of my YouTube videos linked in my sig. Video was captured with my Samsung Galaxy S8 phone. Audio captured in Reaper with a vocal mic and a guitar mic just out of frame at the bottom. A bit of clean-up EQ in Reaper, balance the levels, add a touch of room-ish reverb. Combining of final rendered audio and the video in Adobe Premiere Pro. (Reaper can also do simple video editing, but I already have the Adobe suite.)