View Single Post
Old 12-09-2020, 05:46 PM

Default the carbon fiber test drive thread

One of the recurring themes here is that, “I cannot go to a store and play XYZ carbon fiber guitar before buying”, and this is generally true regardless of brand. In the case of Emerald and now Rainsong, they only sell direct -- there are zero stocking dealers anywhere. None of us own examples of every brand and model on the market (except perhaps Kramster ) but we as a group of enthusiasts can work together to promote carbon fiber instruments in general.

With this concept in mind, this thread can be a portal exclusively for AGF members to connect, meet in person, and sample the wares. Many members do not include their approximate location as part of their profile so “where are you located” seems to come up in almost every thread. This is NOT – repeat NOT -- an attempt to recreate the old McNichol Road Show where a single guitar was shipped from one person to the next until someone bought that guitar. It is not about commercial trading or selling, but consenting adults can do that privately if they choose. This concept is all about one-on-one voluntary meetings where members can share their guitars and carbon fiber knowledge with the curious. These guitars and their tough clear-coat finishes can withstand hand sanitizer and careful wipe-downs to meet safely. Other safety measures such as location and time of day needed to satisfy both parties.

I propose the following:
• AGF members can reach out to other members via PM
• your general geographic location to be included in the initial contact
• all contact information will be handled privately between the two parties
• both parties must agree on what measures are needed to meet safely within their own comfort levels
• AGF bears no responsibility – the forum is only a conduit of the initial communication
• Forum Rule #1 applies at all times - be nice!

Participation is 100% voluntary - no one is under any obligation to play along and may opt out at any time without prejudice or recrimination. If someone reaches out to you and you don't wish to play, just ignore the PM or politely decline. No one here is a factory rep or a sales agent - we're just hobbyists gathering to share a common interest.

What say you?

Example: I am located in southwest Idaho within an hour's drive from the Oregon border and would be happy to meet and let someone test drive my carbon fiber instruments. My preference is that we meet near my house, but I could travel up to one hour to meet you in the middle, schedule permitting. My preference is that we meet in a public place like a city park, or at a coffeehouse. My carbon fiber fleet includes Rainsong, Blackbird, Composite Acoustics, and several recent Emerald models. It is *non-negotiable* that after the initial contact via PM and the mutual exchange of email and phone numbers, we must speak on the phone. No phone call, no meeting... no exceptions. That will screen out any scammers - they don't make the effort.

Last edited by Earl49; 08-12-2023 at 04:31 PM. Reason: deleted pandemic precautions