Thread: tuning problem
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2022, 09:32 PM

OP, I'm curious to understand the root of the question a bit better. (Hope I'm not sounding either dense or rude)

Are you finding that open tunings don't stay in tune as well as the standard tuning? Your question was specific to open tunings, so I'm curious to know if there was an implication that standard tuning is more stable for you.

I'm rather young in my guitar journey, but I have found that once my strings are settled, I see no difference in tuning stability, regardless of the instrument (wood or carbon fiber) or tuning I'm using.

Like others, my carbon fiber instruments are much more stable than my wood instruments, requiring a lesser degree of tuning (both in frequency and the amount of tuning). This does assume my strings have settled though. If I change tunings, especially with my nylon instruments, good luck getting it to settle any time soon. For my nylon instruments, changing into dropped D means I'll be retuning every 2 minutes for the whole night. Maybe it'll be settled and stable in the morning ya know? My steel string instruments settle real quick though, usually within minutes, but it's not instantaneous.

Like others, I find carbon fiber instruments much more consistent. While I like the tone of wood a fair bit more, none of my wood instruments hold their intonation and tuning through the varying seasons like my carbon fiber instruments. When I'm playing pieces that go up and down the neck, I prefer my CF instruments for their near perfect intonation, no matter the humidity. Mind you I had custom nuts and saddles cut for each of my CF instruments. The nuts/saddles that came with my instruments had "good" intonation, but my local luthier was able to bump me up a notch to as-good-as-it-gets.