View Single Post
Old 10-24-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post

Forever Changes by Love.
Using the word overrated to describe an album is of course much overrated. But in this specific example, it works quite well.

"Forever Changes" is indisputably, indubitably, the most overrated album of the 1960s, IMOPE (in my own personal estimation).

My own take is that only two songs on it stand the test of time: The Bryan MacLean composition "Alone Again Or" and the Arthur Lee original "Andmoreagain"--the rest of the lot: completely forgettable material, in the main.

I much prefer Love's first two albums, the eponymous "Love" and "Da Cappo."

By the way, I can't prove the case with definitive conclusiveness, but I maintain that perhaps Clapton got his idea to employ a surf-style picking technique on Cream's classic "Dance The Night Away" ("Disraeli Gears" lp, of course) from two songs on Love's first album, "Gazing" and "No Matter What You Do" (both Arthur Lee compositions), where Love's lead guitarist Johnny Echols cuts loose with a couple of my favorite 60s era guitar solos, adumbrating Clapton's virtuoso instrumental takes in "Dance The Night Away."

"Gazing"--The Johnny Echols solo begins at about the 1:30 mark; Arthur Lee actually announces it:

"No Matter What You Do"--Johnny Echols takes two solos on this one; in my opinion, the second solo is better.

Last edited by Inyo; 10-24-2020 at 01:15 PM.