View Single Post
Old 05-25-2020, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin G String View Post
Hi good people.

I was wondering the best situation in a room to record guitars. I have standard boom mic stands for my small and large diaphragm mics. I'm looking to get a couple of Rode PSA1 desk mounted mic booms. These would be much easier to set up and position, particularly when i have a guitar in my arms.

Is there a problem with recording guitar in front of a desk? Am I going to get reflections that might be problematic. Neither mic is omni directional.

Many thanks.
Once in a while I will record at my desk. I have a couple of the desk mic booms. I have a Scarlett 2i4 and record with 2 AT2035. I have also recorded at my desk just using my Zoom H5 with the built in mics. You might want to buy a couple of mouse pads to put the booms on.

I have this brand of mic stand.

I recorded this tune at my desk, but I don't remember if I used my mics with the Scarlett, with the Zoom or just the Zoom with the built in mics:

If you have a decent DAW you can soften the room a bit. I get a better recording to work with if I record in my family room or living room where there is more open space, I'm not facing a wall and there is no computer hum to deal with. When I record with just the Zoom, with built in mics, I just lay it on a small folded towel.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 05-25-2020 at 08:50 AM.