View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 11:46 AM

For somebody (like me and the OP) just trying to get off to a good start, this thread has been enormously helpful and I, for one, really appreciate all of the discussion. A few quick observations though:

1. I'm now particularly intrigued with the stereo option and will be searching the AGF for more on this subject.

2. I'm more than ever convinced that, for general purposes, the differences among these various mics are *relatively* minor...and that performance, room dynamics, signal chain, recording techniques, mic placement etc. probably matter more. I too had *preferences* among the various samples provided and, not being in the room (or holding the instrument) have no idea whatsoever which mic produced the greatest *fidelity*. Still, it would be hard (especially in an MP3 context) to sort out the obviously *bad* mics.

3. It doesn't have to cost all that much to produce really usable results, especially when relatively low cost approaches available, such as: experimenting and improving room dynamics, mic placement, etc.

Again many thanks to all of those with such great and helpful input here.

'98 Martin HD-28VR, '98 Bourgeois Martin Simpson European, '98 Collings CJmha