View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 12:46 AM
Charter Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
Rams and Pats fans are tied up for awhile, but the rest of NFL country is free to search out its own entertainments. Philly is doing this spectacularly well, its QB soap opera having just gone from tiresome infatuation to "redic'liss" (a popular regional term). An overly eager local reporter, with a bias against Wentz, is being derided by his peers and may have nuked his career. What are the rest of you up to?
The Iggles thing actually pretty interesting. There’s no question that Wentz is the better, more skilled QB than Foles. But you’d have to be blind not to see how much better the team plays behind Foles. I read a quote from I think it was Kelsey a couple weeks after Foles took the reins again this year and There was none of the a-hole connotations that this recent article put on Wentz. But he said kind of the same thing - that Wentz knows exactly what he wants to do on each play and he’s gonna find a way to do THAT. Foles lets the game come to him a lot more and is better at just taking what the defense will give you on. Or words to that effect.

And Foles is definitely better at spreading the ball around. When he took over, suddenly Jeffries and Agholar started looking like really important receivers again and they finally worked Tate into the offense, but no way Ertz would have broken the single season record for tight end catches if Foles was the QB all year.

Wentz definitely has a lot more upside than Foles going forward, based on his age if nothing else. And Foles has to move on so Wentz can really grow into his role on the team. I just hope he learned some lessons from watching Foles the last couple years. It could make him even better. It would be hard for him to be much better than he was before he got hurt in 2017 - but it’s hard to say anyone has ever been much better than Foles was in the NFC Championship and Super Bowl last year.

I don’t think there’ll be any controversy - Foles is gonna move on and hopefully he’ll find a team that’s a really good fit for him and gets a big payday. But going down as the best backup QB in history and a Suoer Bowl MVP in a game that Brady threw for 500 yards in ain’t exactly a BAD legacy...

-Ray