View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 12:53 PM

Great comments, all!

What I mean by "prime time", is the vehicle is so practical, affordable and desirable that Joe the Plumber would seriously consider buying one because it fits his needs, wants and budget.

I'm not sure that I'm Joe the Plumber, but I feel that my vehicular needs are probably pretty close to most other Americans that don't live in the big city. I can't afford multiple cars, so I need one vehicle that can serve basically all my needs. I could easily make good use of an electric for my daily commute and buzzing around town - but as my ONLY car? It comes up short on account of range and utility. EDIT: I'm super curious under what conditions the new Tesla is able to achieve 620 mile range. That seems pretty huge!

From the graph in the post above, it appears there were ~175k electrics sold in the USA in 2016. Considering there were ~17.5 million new cars sold in the USA in 2016, electrics represent ~1%.

So between some combination of lack of technology, infrastructure, product availability and interest, I still say electrics aren't ready for prime time.

However, they are certainly getting closer each year. Exciting and interesting to watch!