View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljohn View Post
Thanks so much for all the replies.

I played a couple of guitars this week--a MIM Telecaster (Standard, I think), an American Standard, and a AVRI '52. I have plans to try out the AVRI '58 this week, but, wow, that '52 is nice. The neck has such a great feel in hand, and tone is fantastic. Frankly, I liked the tone of the other two as well, but I couldn't deal with those thin necks. I'll be curious to see how the '58 feels in hand.

I didn't do too much with amps, but I tested a Blues Jr. NOS and a Princeton ('68 reissue, I think). I like the way the Blues Jr sounded when pushed, but the Princeton had a nicer clean tone to my ears.

That was the first foray, and I'll keep looking. I'll try to find a G&L to check out, and Carvin amp too, but I have a hard time imagining a better feeling neck than the '52 AVRI.

I've even been mulling over building one (well, assembling one anyway.) I've not done sufficient research yet to really know what I'd be getting into, but those Warmoth parts look nice.
Yeah, those '52s are great. You've already gotten a lot of great suggestions and seem to be headed towards what you want.

As others have said, those Baja's are great guitars too. I almost bought one, but didn't need one.

I have an American Standard, but a friend gave me a G&L ASAT Classic for my birthday a few years ago. That's the guitar I usually grab when I play electric nowadays.

As far as amps go, I recommend the Princeton '65 RI for your needs, especially over the Blues Jr. The Blues Jr just doesn't have that Fender sound to me, but Fender certainly has sold a lot of them. Look for a used one.