View Single Post
Old 06-29-2018, 04:09 PM

Hi OF660 fans-

I've been intrigued by what I've seen and heard of this guitar in YouTube videos, and today I finally was able to play one that my local shop has in its stock. I was impressed by how good it sounded fingerstyle, but disappointed by the strummed sound. The main issue was a too-loud 1st string (high E). I could readily adjust to it playing fingerstyle or even picking, but for strumming it really stuck out. I thought at first it might be a resonance (I was at first playing lots of key-of-E chords with the 1st string open), but playing the same notes on the 2nd string produced a noticably lower volume. If it were a "normal" guitar I would have attributed the issue to a quirk of the bracing, but I don't know if CF guitars even have bracing! 8-)

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this, or if it might be a quirk of the particular one I played. If you've noticed it, was it something you could fix to some degree with a change in brand or gauge of string?

Finally, @Johnny5 asked:

> I have watched every single video I can find and I have yet to see someone play above the 12th fret (or even talk about the playability or access to upper frets)

I was wondering about hi-fret playability myself, since some of my favorite tunes use chords beyond the 12th fret. The OF660 carve-out doesn't function like a cutaway; your wrist will still bump into the body. But you can tilt your hand to get some level of access beyond the 14th fret. I found I was able to play a favorite tune that has a 5/6 bar chord at the 14th fret [0 14 14 14 17 16]; it wasn't comfortable, but I could grab that chord without too much trouble. So I'd say it's a reasonable compromise given the need to support the fly-away neck joint.

-Tom