View Single Post
Old 10-11-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinto View Post
Hi, bumping this back up. I just got my hands on a used Fishman SA220 at a good price and I've been using it as a supplemental speaker for the Godin and it sounds very good. I have a couple of questions on this setup though, hopefully someone can comment.

First, when I use an XLR cable from my DI out on the Godin to the Monitor In on the Fishman, I get no sound out of the Fishman. According to the respective manuals this should work. Not sure what's going on with this setup.

When I use a 1/4 inch cable from the Godin Line Out to the Fishman Aux In, then it works as expected. My question here is should I be using a speaker cable or a TRS cable. I know enough to not use an instrument cable. Both of these amps running this way pump out a lot of sound and I find them quite complimentary.

Cheers and as usual thanks for the ongoing advice.
Actually, an instrument cable (a regular 1/4" unbalanced mono TS cable, like a guitar cable) is exactly what you should be using. You'd never use a speaker cable for this, and the Aux out of the Godin is unbalanced, so an instrument cable is all it's designed for. You could use a TRS cable, but the output will only use the tip and the sleeve anyway, so there's no point. Also, for that matter, the Aux in of the SA220 is also unbalanced. It's stereo, so you could use a TRS cable to input both channels of a stereo signal, which the Fishman will then blend to mono, but there's no point in using a TRS cable for a mono signal into that input, even a balanced one, it won't be balanced if the input isn't balanced.

I don't know why your Monitor input on the SA220 isn't accepting the signal from the Godin's DI out. Are you just getting a weak signal or really none at all? Does the monitor level control on the front of the SA220 affect it at all? Maybe the wiring is incompatible for some reason or something is broken? I'd call Fishman and ask. The DI out into the Monitor in would be the only way to send a balanced signal from that amp to the SA220--although that might not be necessary if you're not getting noise the unbalanced way (into the Aux in).

Louis