View Single Post
Old 06-19-2019, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninma View Post

[snip]

I don't really care if Chinese furniture is the bigger problem, I don't want to be part of the problem at all.
So you just own/play carbon fiber guitars?

At 51, having played for 35 years... I'm old school. If I see a guitar that I want, and can afford it... I'll buy it. CITES isn't a concern. My son has one of two of the only Brazilian guitars I've ever owned. He's not hauling it across international lines, so it is not a concern. I think it's sad that we've come to a place where owning a guitar with thin back/sides is starting to be taboo. It's a work of art that will bring joy to many people over its lifetime. Pile up all of the Brazilian rosewood that has been used for guitars... and I don't imagine that pile would be all that big. While I acknowledge the value and absolute necessity of living trees, I also think that the things created using their wood are of value as well. We can (and should) be responsible in their use, without declaring absolutes.

Btw... I don't view wood and ivory through the same lens. Having said that, ivory collected from an animal that has died naturally is fine with me.