View Single Post
Old 03-26-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
I am not recommending a home remedy.

The repair should be permanent and completely invisible.
John. thank you again. I agree. Many of the people I've spoken with stated the same thing. I'm re-hydrating the guitar now to get it back to about 45%-47% humidity before I take it in for repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom West View Post
Just to put this in perspective, I would think John A. has repaired dozens of bridges with this problem. He is a professional and knows guitars and repair work. The truth is if you or anyone else has bought a used guitar it may well have a bridge that is repaired in the manner John quotes and not even know it. Sorry to hit back about this but the " home remedies" remark was a bit out of line.
Tom
Tom. I couldn't agree more. After doing a lot of research, it appears that while it isn't common for this to happen to all guitars, it is a relatively common thing. Most I've seen and researched are much more severe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I've known people to have guitars with cracks like that that go unfixed for many many years. I'm not saying you don't need to worry about it, you should get it fixed but it's not a severe as you may thing. JA's method is what I would do in this case as well. No need to remove the bridge. The great thing about ebony is that it is so easy to hide the repairs.
Thank you. I'm thinking the same thing. I'll get it repaired once I get the guitar re-hydrated and checked out by a really good tech. My biggest concern would have been if any extra damage could have been done to the bracing or top from the lack of being humidified properly.
I appreciate the input.