View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 08:23 AM

Default Starting to fingerpick - anchor pinky or palm heel?

OK, so I have started to delve into finger picking and I can't decide which method is better....anchoring the pinky or resting the heel of the palm near the bridge or as a third option, not anchoring at all. They all seem to have pros and cons, but I feel like I need to pick one or I am impeding my progress.

When I use the pinky anchor, my finger tips get a nice straight on attack on the strings, but my ring finger has trouble picking the high E string due to my pinky kind of being in the way.

When I use the palm resting on the bridge method, my picking seems to be easier and flow better, but I have a weird angle now of attacking the strings with my fingertips that doesn't get a nice full sound like the pinky anchor method does. This is because you fingers are now slightly angled dues to you palm resting on the bridge.

When I don't anchor at all, I get a nice sound with a nice straight on attack of the strings and I don't have issues with the high E string like I mentioned above, but I feel like I am not as smooth and flowing as I am with the other two methods. With practice maybe I could get there?

So do I pick one and stick with it or keep messing around until one method organically chooses itself? Thanks